ThePetSite - cat, dog and small animal information

All the latest news forDogs | Cats | Small Mammals | Fish | Equine
ThePetSite on Linked In

News

Curious Cat has Bell Removed from Stomach

21 October 2014
TEXT HERE

UK - PDSA vets in Glasgow helped save a cat after she swallowed the bell from her own collar.

Skie, a three-year-old Norwegian Forest crossbreed, was brought into the charity’s pet hospital in Tollcross by owner Elsie Brown when her usually perky pet ‘didn’t seem her normal self” and a loss of appetite, together with attempts to vomit, had set alarm bells ringing.

Siobhan Casey, PDSA Senior Vet at the PetAid hospital in Tollcross, said: “Skie came in really quite poorly, she had been vomiting and completely off her food. An x-ray revealed a metal object in her stomach so we carried out surgery to find out what this was – only to discover the bell from her own collar!”

X-ray showing the bell in Skie's intestines
X-ray showing the bell in Skie's intestines

Elsie, of Sandyhills, Glasgow, said she had noticed that Skie’s bell was missing from her collar but thought nothing of it, assuming it had merely dropped off.

She said: “I should have known better with Skie, she’s such an inquisitive cat and is never afraid to give something an experimental chew!”

After undergoing surgery, Skie was kept in hospital overnight before being allowed to return home the following day, bouncing back onto her paws almost immediately.

Elsie’s daughter Annie said: “Her appetite had returned and she was back to her normal self by the evening. I couldn’t believe how quick her recovery was!

“I am so grateful to the vets and nurses at PDSA Tollcross pet hospital. As with any member of the family, you complain about them daily but really couldn’t imagine life without them. Even though Skie had only been away a night, my mum and I were delighted to have her home safe – as were the other furry members of the household I think!”

Annie says Skie is now enjoying life with her animal siblings, including a playful dog called Tasha.

“She gets on really well with the other animals, she even lets the dog lick her and they all play enthusiastically together,” Annie said. “She’s a lady who knows her own mind though and doesn’t let them overstep the mark!”

Following Skie’s health scare, Elsie now has hazard-free collars, without adornment, for all her pets: “We don’t miss the bells,” she said, “I never have any trouble knowing when they’re all around anyway!”

PDSA Senior vet, Elaine Pendlebury advises that cat collars should always be quick-release to avoid injury.

She said: “PDSA would recommend microchipping as a more reliable method of identification as collars can easily be removed or lost. I have also seen cases where collars have got tangled around a cat’s leg, which can be very serious. If the blood supply to a cat’s leg is cut off for too long then amputation can even result. The use of a cat safety collar is fine, so long as it features a pull apart snap buckle that breaks away under a certain amount of pressure.”

PDSA advises all pet owners that if they suspect their pet has swallowed something they shouldn’t they should consult their vet immediately.

ThePetSite News Desk



Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

The Science Behind a Happy Dog Canine Training, Thinking and Behaviour - 5m Books