ThePetSite - cat, dog and small animal information

All the latest news forDogs | Cats | Small Mammals | Fish | Equine
ThePetSite on Linked In

News

Dog Poisoned after Drinking Bottle of Eggnog

05 January 2015
TEXT HERE

UK - A seven-month old German shepherd dog required the help of the Blue Cross after downing a bottle of festive tipple Advocaat.

When owner Rachel Murphy came home and found Bella staggering around and the broken, empty bottle on the floor, she immediately called Blue Cross animal hospital in Victoria, central London, for help.

Mrs Murphy said: “We had the Advocaat for Christmas day and although it was kept out of Bella’s reach and in a bag she must have jumped up at the table and pulled it to the floor. We couldn’t believe she had drunk most of the contents but she was clearly unwell when we found her.

“We were really worried and rushed her to Blue Cross for treatment. Thankfully it was just in time and she is now all better. We will make sure any other Christmas drinks are kept under lock and key!

"We gave Bella liquids to flush out the alcohol and closely monitored by vets overnight. She has now made a full recovery and is back at home."

A seven-month old German shepherd dog is feeling a little ruff after downing a bottle of festive tipple Advocaat.

Dogs can become seriously ill after drinking alcohol as it can cause convulsions and respiratory problems.

Charlotte Hamilton, Blue Cross Vet, said: “It is lucky Bella’s owners came home and discovered what Bella had done so quickly as alcohol is toxic to pets.

“Because Bella is almost fully grown and quite a big dog the damage is not as bad as it may have been with a smaller breed, which could even have proved fatal.

“Be careful with storing and keeping alcohol over the Christmas period as pets may like the taste of sweet drinks like Advocaat and might not be as lucky as Bella.”

Blue Cross is also warning pet owners to prevent dogs and cats from eating Christmas cake and mince pies which contain poisonous raisins and plants including mistletoe and poinsettia which are also toxic to pets.

Photos by SWNS

ThePetSite News Desk



Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

The Science Behind a Happy Dog Canine Training, Thinking and Behaviour - 5m Books